HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) has recently stated that they will pledge £5.5 million to organisations who are in the voluntary and community sectors to help support customers organise their taxes.
The last voluntary or community sector organisation (VCS) grant was for 2021 to 2024, and totalled £4.98 million, making this grant significantly larger.
This is HMRC’s 12th pledge to VCS organisations, and with it lasting between 2024 to 2027, £1.6 million will be awarded each year.
Who is eligible for it?
To be eligible for this grant, your organisation must be an official VCS.
You must also be using the money for at least two of the following:
- Helping people with their tax affairs:
- Helping those who need extra support but can’t afford it
- Building confidence so that customers can use HMRC directly in the future
- Helping customers with tax liabilities and entitlements who require extra support
- Support with debt to HMRC and the associated hardships of this
- Supporting customers with complex needs:
- Providing specialist knowledge on complex tax enquiries
- Support customers who need third-party representation or accessible formats
- Supporting people to be able to use HMRC digital services:
- Help customers to build their understanding and confidence in using the HMRC digital online services
- Provide digital inclusion support alongside tax advice
- Keeping customers in digital channels when they experience difficulties
How can I apply?
Your organisation can apply for this grant through the HMRC Grant Funding application form.
It should be noted that the application for this specific grant is open 24 July 2023 to 21 August 2023.
Those who are successful with their application will be notified by HMRC in October for the funding to begin from 1 April 2024.
How will this funding help?
This grant will help both the community and HMRC themselves in organising personal tax.
For the community, it will enable confidence and independence for individuals who previously struggled with organising their tax affairs.
It will also benefit HMRC too due to them being able to move to online services more smoothly, knowing that their customers will be supported throughout this by the VCSs.
For more information about tax management, contact us today.