Probate & Estate Administration
At Knights Lowe Chartered Accountants we understand that losing a loved one can be a very difficult and challenging time.
On top of this, those appointed as Personal Representatives have the added worry and stress of administering the estate which can be a daunting process, especially as they are personally liable if this has not been done correctly.
Knights Lowe Chartered Accountants are able to offer you support and guidance through this process. Our sympathetic and friendly staff can provide assistance throughout the estate administration process in a straightforward and efficient manner. The services that we can assist with include the following:
- Establishing if there is a valid will in place.
- Determining who the personal representatives and beneficiaries of the estate are.
- Advise the Personal Representatives of their responsibilities and assist them throughout the process.
- Calculate income tax liability for the period up to the date of death and prepare / submit any returns that may be required to agree this with HMRC.
- Calculate income tax liability covering the estate period and prepare / submit any returns that may be required to agree this with HMRC.
- Establish the assets and liabilities included in the estate that are subject to Inheritance tax.
- Obtain valuations of business interests for inclusion within the estate summary.
- Prepare and submit grant of probate.
- Guidance with settling the liabilities of the estate and distributing the assets to beneficiaries.
- Drawing up estate accounts for the purposes of ensuring the estate has been administered correctly.
Knights Lowe Chartered Accountants have been providing the majority of the above services to our clients for many years however, as a firm, we have recently expanded these services to include the preparing and submitting of the grant of probate. This process is a reserved legal activity and therefore needs approval from an approved regulator and licensing authority, which we have recently obtained meaning we are able to offer our clients support throughout the whole probate process by offering a seamless and complete service.
Authorised by the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England & Wales to carry out the reserved legal activity of non-contentious probate in England and Wales.